Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.

My puppy is 3 and a half weeks old and is suddenly sneezing

Customer Question

Hi my puppy is 3 and a half weeks old and is suddenly sneezing milk from her nose. My brother and sister keeps bathing them as soon as they get a little dirty and wont listen to a thing i say. What do i do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Winnie.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: The mother had been put down a week ago she got mastitis and gangrene.. we cant afford to go to the vet because i spent every cent trying to save my baby girl (mother dog) but i couldn't.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm so sorry you're going through this difficult situation with Winnie and the loss of her mother. My heart goes out to you. I wanted to let you know that the most common reason for a 3 1/2 week old puppy to sneeze milk from her nose is a cleft palate. Sometimes you can see this for yourself by looking for a crack or space in the roof of the mouth. Another cause would be aspiration. When puppies are unable to nurse from their mothers and have to be fed by hand instead, they can breathe in the formula and it can come out their noses. This can lead to pneumonia and be fatal, so it's really important to feed carefully to avoid it. I wish there was some type of home remedy I could recommend for you, but it's important to let you know there isn't. Sneezing formula (milk) from her nose is either:No big deal because she just ate a little to aggressively and got some milk up there, or...A problem with the way she is eating or being fed that could result in pneumonia, or...A symptom of a cleft palate, which also can be life-threateningI'm so sorry for everything you've been through, but I'm afraid this is one more problem that will require medical care to solve. I want you to know financial assistance can be made available. Here is a link to some resources for helping with vet bills. Don't worry that the title of the page says it is in South Florida and is for dachshunds; many of these resources are available nation wide. I wish you the best of luck with your puppy.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.
Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Just checking to ask how things are going with your little puppy. I've been worried.Thank you.