Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog's testicles were cut during his grooming visit last

Customer Question

My dog's testicles were cut during his grooming visit last Monday (4/4/16). I can tell he's in a lot of pain from the cut, based on his behavior since then. I read that pain relievers with NSAID were OK to give dogs, so I gave him 2-3 ml of liquid ibuprofen for children 2-3 times a day Wednesday through Friday, before reading several other post that said ibuprofen is a NO NO for dogs. My dog is a 14 month-old Snorkie, and weighs approximately 15lbs. Today is Monday (4/11/16), and he hasn't had a bowel movement since Saturday (4.9.16). He went a little more than a day without eating mid week of last week, but is eating and drinking pretty close to normal now. I've been using generic Neosprene on the cut area, but am not sure how much harm I've done with the ibuprofen. Please help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: I haven't seen any bleeding. I just see the cut area on the bottom left, and what looks like razor burn on the top area of his testicles.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddy Lee.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He went through a similar issue on his first grooming visit last year, so I know now that his testicle area is very sensitive. He didn't have a cut last time around, but we went through a similar episode then.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
Ibuprofen becomes toxic (gastrointestinal ulcers) at the single dose of 50 mg/lb or 750 mg for Buddy Lee. Repeated doses, however, will potentiate the toxicity. At the single dose of 150 mg/lb renal failure can arise. His eating and drinking well at this time are postive prognostic signs. An over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg/lb twice daily affords these dogs comfort. While unlikely, renal damage can be detected by performing a urinalysis and renal blood tests in the form of the BUN and creatinine. There may be no outward signs of such damage if minor; serious damage should increase the volume of urine he produces and then a conpensatory increase in thirst. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You mentioned the Pepcid will provide comfort. Will that help my dog's bowels move? If not, what can you recommend for that? Is there anything other than generic Neosprene you can recommend with reducing healing time for the cut and razor burn on his genitals? As you can imagine, I have lost confidence in vets and groomers in my area, and am skeptical to trust again. In addition, I am currently unemplyed, and cannot affort another lofty bill and fewer answers than I have now (as was the case when we went through the similar episode last year). In spite of my skepticism, I'd also like to know at what point you suggest I contact a vet if I don't see any improvement with the two issues I'm dealing with?
No, Pepcid isn't a cathartic or laxative. Psyllium seed (Metamucil, e.g.) is a safe bulk laxative when dosed at a teaspoon/wet food meal for the next few meals. Simply keeping the damaged skin non-infected with the topical antibiotic of your choice should hasten healing. If Buddy Lee won't leave the area alone, an Elizabethan collar (the "cone of shame") should be considered. I believe that there's a very good chance that a vet visit can be avoided. The laxative should take effect within 36 hours and as long as the skin remains non-infected and he can't annoy the area, the skin will heal within 7-10 days.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello,I've been giving him generic Metamucil fiber with canned food since you made the suggestion a few days ago. Buddy's bowels have moved a few times, and he was back to playing Wednesday and up until last night. I gave him a bath yesterday afternoon, and that must have bothered his sore. He hasn't had another bowel movement since early yesterday morning, and didn't eat this morning, but ate around 1pm. Does this sound pretty normal to you for recovery? And should I continue to give him the fiber powder?
That sounds part and parcel of recovery to me. I don't see the need for more Metamucil. He's had bowel movements and wouldn't be considered to be constipated at this time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.