Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My one year old just went through heat I'm told roughly 2 weeks

Customer Question

My one year old just went through heat I'm told roughly 2 weeks ago. She is very whinny and very needy and constantly cowering and peeing as she cowers. She is a mix terrier chihuahua. She goes everywhere with me usually but lately those things I noted are getting to be too much for me. I don't hit her for anything so I'm not sure what's going on if it's because of her recent first heat she is sooo attached and will this change? Or could there be another issue or is it a breed thing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 8 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Cassie has been acting so oddly lately - I will do my best to help. While there are certainly hormonal shifts during their cycle that can affect their behavior, I'd expect it to be improving within a week or two. If what you're seeing is a worsening of the behavior, then I'd suggest having her checked out by the vet to be sure there's not a medical issue before pegging it as behavioral. Some dogs with things like back pain or stomach upset can cower and hide and act generally off. If everything checks out medically, then this could be the beginning of an anxiety issue in her. Some dogs are so sensitive that things we don't even notice can really traumatize them. A certain noise at the wrong time or one poor experience can cause them to then expect bad things to continue to happen. The expectation of something scary or bad leads them to shut down. If everything is OK medically, then I'd ask your vet for a referral to a trainer that uses gentle positive reinforcement based tactics. In my area I have a trainer who does amazing in home consultations for behavior issues in pets. These are particularly good for the dogs with anxiety who would not do well in a class setting. The golden rule for now to get you by until someone can look her over is "if you can predict it, prevent it". If you know a certain action or situation is going to upset her, then do your best to avoid it. Also look into purchasing gentle anxiety relieving products like a Thunder Shirt, a DAP collar, or herbal calming treats like Composure. These can really help get a pet through a rough patch. If all else fails and if the anxiety is very severe, mostPlease let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :) vets will be willing to prescribe a daily anti-anxiety medication to make all of your lives easier.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi Mitch,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cassie. How is everything going?

Doc Sara