Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He ate 2 loaves of bread dough JA: I'm sorry to hear that.

Customer Question

He ate 2 loaves of bread dough
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy about 4
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddy
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago did he eat these?Where they self-raising with yeast?How much does he weigh?How is just now?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He just ate them he weighs about 50 lbs
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is just sitting here
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about your wee one.The reason is because bread dough can cause our pets a few different problems when eaten. To start, we’d be worried about bloat from how much he had, but there is also the risk of the yeast in the dough causing even more severe issues. Specifically as it ferments in the warm stomach, we can see expand to cause even more bloat risk but also it release alcohols which can in turn cause alcohol toxicity in our dogs.....
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
In this case, we need to act fast. Ideally, since we don't have time to spare, it'd be ideal to have him seen urgently so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues. Otherwise, you can try inducing vomiting at home by giving 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then we again need him treated by injection. And while getting him there, we can give cold/ice water to chill his stomach and slow the fermentation process. Once he sees his vet, they can get this out of his stomach +/- start IV fluids to help flush any alcohol already in his system and get him through this without issue. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )