Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 80 lb Weimeraner grabbed the used coffee filter with grounds

Customer Question

My 80 lb Weimeraner grabbed the used coffee filter with grounds from the trash. He ate the filter, and some used grounds - although quite a bit fell out before he ate it. This was about 45 min ago. He's currently sleeping the the couch.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: As I said, My 80 lb Weimeraner grabbed the used coffee filter with grounds from the trash. He ate the filter, and some used grounds - although quite a bit fell out before he ate it. This was about 45 min ago. He's currently sleeping the the couch. Should I do anything or is he in danger?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How much of the grounds do you think he had? A spoonful, cupful, etc?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,As time is of the essence, I do want to leave my thoughts for your return.Now if we aren’t sure how much he had (nor how much caffeine there was in the used grounds), then we need to tread with care. This is because we can see caffeine toxicity cause serious issue for our dogs. In general, mild signs include vomiting, diarrhea, and increased thirst. Though at higher doses we can see cardiotoxic effects. Therefore, it has only been ~45 minutes, we’d be best to err on the side of caution. To start, you can choose to induce vomiting at home. To do so, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues. As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Overall, without knowing how much caffeine he has ingested, we do need to be careful even if he seems fine just now. Therefore, he above would be ideal at this stage. Otherwise, we can try to offset any stomach upset but keep an eye for an agitation, heart rare changes, or abnormalities. If we do see anything suggesting a high dose ingestion, we'd want to plan to have him seen urgently for supportive care and IV fluids to get this out of his system as quickly as possible. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?