petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

My name is ***** *****. I have a 4 year old japanese

Customer Question

Hello. My name is ***** *****. I have a 4 year old japanese chin and isn't getting up and moving around very much but when she does she tucks her tail between her legs. I have tried to look at her bottom but she is not letting me. She looks and acts like she is in pain.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She has also had a hacking cough as though she is trying to throw up but doesn't. Also withing the past week she cries in pain when trying to have a bowel movement and a lot of her bowel movements are black and runny. When it is runny, she runs around trying to find a comfortable place to lay
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance but need a bit more information in order to better assist you. Is she still eating? Have you given her any medications over the past week? Has she been seen by a veterinarian for this yet? Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is eating very little and drinks water only 2 - 3 times per day. Today she has had no food or water - she has no interest. There have been no medications and she has not been to see her veterinarian yet. I will tell you that he "father" feeds her people food and has since she was 8 weeks old. So of course, she won't eat dog food. I have tried everything that I know of to get him to stop, but he won't!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
P.S. The wait is not a problem.
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the prompt reply. What concerns me the most is the pain and the black stools. That can be a sign of GI bleeding and could indicate that she may have gastric ulcers or bleeding lower in the GI tract like the intestine. This can be very painful and can lead to decreased food and water intake. Her tucking her tail may just be a pain response or since she has diarrhea, she may have developed a dermatitis secondary to that or she may also be experiencing problems with her anal glands, which can also be painful. There is really not much that can be done for her at home and your best course of action is to have her evaluated by your veterinarian as soon as possible. If she is bleeding in the GI tract, it can be very serious. Once her problem is diagnosed correctly a more specific treatment can be prescribed, but in the meantime, supportive care such as fluid therapy and pain medications can be started. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z