Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

My friend used spermicide in a female dog, can

Customer Question

***** ***** My friend used spermicide in a female dog, can it hurt her?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My friend was watching my dog that is in hear. Her male bred her they were tied maybe 5-10 mins. Afterwards my friend put an encare spermicide insert in my female. I just don't want it to hurt her
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,I'mCustomerand I would be happy to help with your question. Spermicide should not harm your dog but may cause gastrointestinal upset if she licks/ingests it. A small number of individuals may be allergic to spermicide but that is pretty rare. Please note the spermicide probably didn't work because it is unlikely that your dog allowed it to be placed deep enough. Also, make sure to keep your dog away from intact males when she is in heat: severe injury can occur from being bred by a larger dog or even fighting with any intact male dog that may jump the fence in attempt to mate. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating. Sincerely,Dr. Karing
Hello,I hope you found my answer helpful. Please let me know if you have additional questions or require other information. If you are pleased with my response, then the kindness of an accept and postive rating would be very much appreciated.Thanks again,Dr. Karing