Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Yesterday my french bulldog (4 months old) was prostrated.

Customer Question

Hi. Yesterday my french bulldog (4 months old) was prostrated. Then he started to shake his head and drool, as he was sufocated. After that, he felt prostrated and in 1 hour he was playful again. Do u know what is the reason for that?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the French bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Oliver - 4 months
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Your Frenchie's collapse suggests both congenital cardiopulmonary disease and complex partial seizures (also called psychomotor seizures). Don't hesitate to have Oliver attended to by his vet. You can lose him during one of these episodes. There are a number of congenital (present at birth) heart defects that can cause syncopal (fainting) episodes. These are usually detected upon ausculatation (listening to) of his heart and finding abnormal heart sounds or an irregular heart rate. Anatomical problems in the respiratory system (abnormally long soft palate, hypoplastic (too small) trachea, e.g.) are detected by direct visualization and X-rays. Seizures are best directly visualized and so a video of one of Oliver's events would be very helpful to his vet. A complex partial seizure is defined as focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity involving any part of the body which may be associated with autonomic signs (salivation (drooling), vomiting, diarrhea,) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. When seizures first rise between the age of 1-5 years, idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy is most often diagnosed.Oliver needs to see a vet if his behavior represented a seizure because more than one seizure within 24 hours indicates clustering and can presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't stop and would require a vet to heavily sedate or anesthetize Oliver.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.