Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He came home from a week at the kennel with Larangytis and

Customer Question

He came home from a week at the kennel with Larangytis and now has been vomiting and refuses to eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of he was at the kennel
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tanner and 7
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Tanner contracted infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough") while boarded. Coughing and gagging are expected with that infection which, however, usually remisses unaided within 1-3 weeks. Vomiting and anorexia, however, aren't symptoms of kennel cough. They're symptoms of too many possible disorders to list in this venue. Tanner may also have contracted an infectious agent that infects his gastrointestinal tract at the kennel or his symptoms are unrelated to his boarding. Fasting such a patient for up to 24 hours may suffice but if vomiting and anorexia persisted for more than 36 hours, Tanner's vet will want to thoroughly examine Tanner including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests +/- abdominal X-rays or ultrasound. Conservative care might consist of antiemetic and antacid medication and replacement fluid and electrolytes administered either subcutaneously or intravenously. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.