Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My do appears to be swallowing hard continuously , rhythmatically,

Customer Question

My do appears to be swallowing hard continuously , rhythmatically, I though one on my long hairs was stuck in her throat. It appears clear, she has eaten a piee fo buttered brad and had water. It began with a hard chewing period - was bathed and treated for fleas today. she is about 2.5 yrs old, weighs 40 ls appx. Any ideas what this could be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, frequent swallowing is often a sign of nausea or throat irritation in the dog. Therefore, further to the bread to clear her throat, you can consider starting some supportive care.To start, if you just think she has a bit of throat irritation, you can consider giving her a small dose of a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) hereOtherwise, if you suspect her stomach is unsettled, we can consider trying an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Milk of Magnesia (0.5 tsp every 8 hours). Just to note, the last one is a liquid, so it can soothe her stomach and coat any throat irritation at the same time. So, that would be ideal here. Though whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.As well, if she does seem to have an upset stomach you can follow this with a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset Overall, these would be our main concerns for her signs. Nothing is likely caught since the bread went down fine. So, we can use the above to see if we can settle this for her. Of course, if her signs are severe or linger, we'd want to have a check with her vet for further symptomatic treatment to get her settled. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )