Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He refuses to eat, has been drinking a ton of water. has quickly

Customer Question

he refuses to eat, has been drinking a ton of water. has quickly lost weight, is very lethargic, shows no happiness. and he has to urinate constantly. has even been doing it in the house. he has also started licking carpets and his dog bed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his bowel movements have also been liquid
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: he was at the vet about two weeks ago and the vet said that we should keep an eye on his testicle its a bit enlarged
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he is 11 years old and his name is ***** *****'s a yellow lab
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.How long has he had these signs?Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Is his urine quite dilute/watery? Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?Did his vet do any tests (ie blood tests)or put him on any treatment?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
started about three or 4 days ago. he has been lip licking, urine is clear and watery, no vomiting to my knowledge, haven't seen him gag either. i haven't noticed him eating anything unusual but we do live in a wooded area. he has been put on no treatments. no blood test. gums are pale and dry.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i pressed on his belly he didn't seem to like it very much but he has always been pretty good about letting me examine him or take care of him. pull a tick off or cut his nails etc.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Now I have to say I am quite worried about your lad.His urinary dilution, increased thirst, anorexia (likely triggered by underlying nausea or oral ulcers), and pale gums raise real worries of this being more than a GI infection. In fact, I have to say that with all these signs and at his age I'd be especially wary of a decline in his kidney function. This is because kidney issues often cause increased thirst and loss of urine concentratin but can cause secondary anorexia (due to uremic gastritis) and anemia (low red blood cell volume).With all this in mind and depsite his recent vet visit, I do think he needs to be rechecked at this stage. Ideally, we’d want to have urine or blood samples tested to determine the state of his kidneys while also checking his liver and ruling out any other issues.Though in the meantime, you can consider some supportive care to at least see if we can get him eating again. First, you can try treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentionedOnce that is on board, he will hopefully feel like eating for us. Though if he doesn’t but isn’t vomiting, we would want to consider syringe feeding at this point to halt this weight loss. To syringe feed, we can water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned puppy food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Dogsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in.Overall, his signs are quite concerning. Its possible he has picked up something (ie human anti-inflammatories, mushrooms, antifreeze, etc) that has harmed his kidneys. Though at his age, it may be that this has just come to a head. Therefore, I would suggest the above but we’d really want to have him seen again to pinpoint the root cause for this and address it as best we can for your lad. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?