Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

We have an overweight yellow lab 11 yrs old he is restless

Customer Question

we have an overweight yellow lab 11 yrs old he is restless whining and panting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: he was diagnosed with Lymes a few weeks ago but his titer was only 50
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: wondering if it could be heart disease/failure
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Your dog's behavior suggests pain but without supportive evidence in the form of other symptoms I can't know the source of the pain without throughly examining him which also might include diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests +/- imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound. To answer you directly, heart failure is usually evidenced by some combination of syncope (fainting), coughing, increased respiratory rate, fluid retention in the abdomen or peripheral limbs, and cyanosis (bluish/greyish mucous membranes of the tongue and gums). The diagnosis of Lyme is made if there is supportive evidence of Lyme in addition to positive testing (which often just tells me that my patient has been exposed to Lyme rather than suffering an active infection. Fever and lameness are the initial hallmarks of Lyme in most instances.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.