Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He is having labored, noisy breathing with a gagging cough

Customer Question

He is having labored, noisy breathing with a gagging cough at the end.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His is 5 1/2. His name is J.R.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Two chest xrays have come back with some diffuse patterns in his lungs..the second one being approximately 20% worse than the first one. His bloodwork came back fine, with no high eosinophils and such. He was also tested for Blastomyces which came back negative.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Jeri. I would be pleased to review J.R.'s X-rays if you can upload them to our conversation. If you can't, the X-rays need to be reivewed by a specialist radiologist whom most of us have on retainer to review our X-rays. "Diffuse patterns" needs to be clarified as to an interstitial, bronchovascular, alveolar, or mixed pattern. By doing so, we can narrow down the possible etiologies of such a pattern. The radiologist would then suggest the next diagnostic of choice which often is a tracheal/bronchial wash leading to a culture and cytology (microscopic exam for cells and infectious agents). The wash can be performed during scoping and biopsy of the respiratory tract or as a lone diagnostic. Which breed is J.R., please? While he's younger than most dogs I see with laryngeal paralysis it still is a consideration if he's a large breed (Labrador, in particular) dog.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, he's a Yellow Labrador, full-blooded. The Veterinarian I have been seeing mentioned that he believes it's interstitial. I will attempt to upload the X-rays when I get home from work but not sure if I'll be able to.
Thank you! Please discuss the possibility of laryngeal paralysis with J.R.'s vet. It's a diagnosis made by watching the arytenoid cartilages of the larynx move while J.R. is lightly sedated. ***@******.*** can help you upload the films. Digital films are relatively easy because I just need the file to click on.