Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Should i take my dog to emergency? Hes pooped blood and has

Customer Question

Should i take my dog to emergency? Hes pooped blood and has been vomiting all day.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 11 months ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is he vomiting just food or anything else? Is he acting lethargic? Do you know if he ate anything usual?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the quick response, im very worried. Well to be more clear he has only vomited about 3 times only and the first 2 times was clearish/yellow. The last time he vomited his dinner.. but im more concerned with his poop. He has pooped with bloody diarrhea the entire day, and very often. Alot more than he normally poops. I dont think he ate anything unusual and as far as how hes acting, its hard to tell. If i start to play he will play but if not hell just sleep witch is his usual self.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When we woke up this morning there was about 6 diffrent piles of feces. Some just feces, some just blood only and some with both.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have tried a couple things to help him out and i can take him to the vet tomorrow as soon as i get up but i just keep reading online and every article says go to a vet ASAP that it could be life threatening. So naturally im concerned.
Yes I am definitely understand your concern. I always I am concerned no matter what the cause when a dog is vomiting and has blood diarrhea. The reason why is they tend to get dehydrated very quickly since they are loosing a lot of fluid. So they typically need to replace that fluid as quickly as possible to prevent organ failure.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so what should i do?
If you are not able to take him to the emergency vet tonight. I would not feed him anything else by mouth not even water or his medication since he is still vomiting. If he has nothing in his stomach then he is less likely to continue to have diarrhea as time goes by. This is no guarantee that he won't get worse but generally the less that he takes in the less he will put out.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well i am able to take him tonight if he is in damger and it is necessary, but if his life is not in danger i could also wait until tom. Thats why i wanted some advice. To see what is the best option based on the information i gave you.
Sorry I misunderstood. If you are able to take him to an emergency clinic I would recommend that you do that. Since he is having a large amount of blood in the stool I would consider him potentially in danger because of the blood loss. The quicker they can replace the fluids that he has lost so far the better his chance of recovery will be.