Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

My 4 year old boxer male, ate a rawhide chew.. 3 hours

Customer Question

Hi, my 4 year old boxer male, ate a rawhide chew.. 3 hours later, he was stumbling around and did throw up. We went to the vet and I was relieved to find out it was an inner ear infection.
A month and a half later, and he is done with his antibiotics and ear medications, however he still holds his head at a tlit sometimes and his coordination is not as sure as it was.
He also may still drool more than he used to.
Is this a learned behaviour? Or did he have a stroke? .. it's not bad.. but does that happen? Or should we get more antibiotics?
Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 8 months ago.
Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H.Sorry to hear about your pets previous scare with the raw hide and long term ear infection. Treating an ear for over 2 weeks is considered chronic and can lead to further injury to the sensitive tissue in the ear. To address your question, I highly suspect that your pet's ear infection spread to the inner ear. Signs of inner ear infection include head tilt, nausea (due to imbalance), nystagmus (twitching of the pupils)can be seen, some pets fall over, and ataxia (drunken walk).The best way to treat this is to have the vet look into the ear again with an otoscope to see if the inner ear drum is intact. Typically the bacteria will eat away at the tissue and rupture the ear drum causing the infection to seep into the inner ear. Once confirmed your pet will need oral antibiotics (typically I use Clavamox) to rid the inner ear infection.I would also recommend Dramamine (over the counter) @ 4-8 mg/kg (1kg=2.2 lbs to help with your conversion) every 8 hrs to help treat the motion sickness caused by the imbalance. Your vet also carries Cerenia which is a pet formulated version of motion sickness medication that can be used.I do not in any way feel that this is a learned behavior or a stroke. I hope these recommendations are helpful to you and your pet. If you have any further questions or comments about the suggestions above then please feel free to ask and I will be more than happy to continue the conversation. If you are satisfied with my answer then please don't forget to leave me a rating by clicking on the "Rate my Expert" button at the top of the page so that I am credited with assisting you and your pet concerns today. Thank you for your feedback!Best regards,Dr. H
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet