Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic

My daughter has a little dog that was rescued a year ago.

Customer Question

My daughter has a little dog that was rescued a year ago. The vet thought she was about 9'years. She was neglected. Very small dog possibly a maltepoo or something of that nature. She is only 6 lbs, and gained an out 3 since she got her. Over the past months she has been getting some sort of brown spots that appear on her skin in various places, they eventually turn a cream color and flake off. Also her skin some times has turned from a pink to a yellowish brown. Our vet had thought the spots she has been getting are a staph, but they continue to return. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gracie
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She may even be a Yorkiepoo
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does she appear itchy when she has these spots? Which medications has she been on so far?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She hasn't appeared itchy. She has been on Apoquel.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think a steroid before that.
Oh okay. Is she currently still on Apoquel? Has she ever been on an antibiotic that you know of? Based on what you are describing it sounds like she may be developing hotspots that are likely related to allergies. These hotspots may becoming infected and antibiotics may help them go away. If she is not consistently on Apoquel or a steroid they may be coming back because her allergies are flaring up on different occasions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She doesn't take it every day, it was prescribed for her licking her paws so she gets it on the days she is doing,that a lot and it seems to stop her.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She also has a boxer and they eat the same food, blue large breed adult. Could that have anything to do with it?
Oh ok. You can give Apoquel daily to help with allergies even on days when they are not itching. You may want to try that to see if it keeps the spots from coming back once they go away again. As far as the food, I don't think her getting into the large breed diet would have much to do with the allergies unless she has a food allergy to an ingredient that the diet contains. But that ingredient doesn't necessarily have to be exclusive to large breed diets.
Let me know if you have any further questions

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dwight Alleyne