Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog a boxer , recently had stroke , she is 6 years old

Customer Question

my dog a boxer , recently had stroke , she is 6 years old , she survide the stroke after 2weeks of guarded care and working around the clock , myhusband and itook turns with a baby bottle and blendered her food to get strengh. my main ? is she has lost mote weight and i feed her every 4hrs high protien diet,of turkey,chicken,and acanned diet that the neuroligest ordered, today iweighed her and she lost another pound she was 82 now 69 ineed a high fatty diet .please advise me this deoressed me somuch and iam working hard tokeep her going. from working her to walk, drinking and eating ,she does all of these own hr own now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short.I understand that your pet recently had a stroke. That is unfortunate and can have some debilitating effects on pets. It sounds like Xena's main issue is eating? Which is why you have resorted to feeding her mostly liquid diet or blended diet.High protein diets are typically recommended for diabetic patients to help keep muscle mass while still providing energy requirements. They don't necessarily cause weight gain, but instead ensure muscle mass is maintained. If your pet currently has adequate muscle mass and is only losing fat then a high calorie diet is better for the short term goal of increasing weight. For high calorie foods this is easy because any puppy food is automatically going to be high calorie. Another option is Hill's A/D Rx diet that your vet can prescribe for your pet and it conveniently is available as a canned diet that is easily made into a slurry for administering ease through the baby bottle you are currently using. It is also a highly palatable diet that we frequently use for pets that are overcoming illness. Here is also a few websites to use for home-made diet options for free recipes to try for your pet I hope these recommendations are helpful to you and your pet. If you have any further questions or comments about the suggestions above then please feel free to ask and I will be more than happy to continue the conversation. If you are satisfied with my answer then please don't forget to leave me a rating by clicking on the "Rate my Expert" button at the top of the page so that I am credited with assisting you and your pet concerns today. Thank you for your feedback!Best regards,Dr. H