Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

He is limping of his front l leg, he is a bit Chihuahua

Customer Question

he is limping of his front l leg, he is a bit bull Chihuahua mix and weights 16 pounds. It seems to be in his shoulder area not his paw. I am wondering if he may have jumper off of something or rough housed with our ***** ***** terrier mix. If I pick him up he whines. I noticed a couple of hours ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: there is no woound
JA: How old is Chihuahua?
Customer: 9 years
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.
Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H.I am sorry to hear about your pets recent injury to the front left leg. Injuries are very common to occur in the shoulders and knee area and can often cause either muscle sprains (minor and should improve with time and conservative treatment), ligament strains , or even hairline fractures of the bone (if trauma was severe). To address your question, yes it is possible that this was an injury from a fall or rough play could have injured the shoulder. The big question is how bad the injury is. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to answer that without having examined him myself. However what I can tell you is that most minor injuries (muscle sprains or ligament strain) will show improvement over the course of a week with conservative treatment alone. So my suggestions to start treating this are would involve the following if I was inclined this wasn't a serious injury or fracture: 1) Rest - it is important to rest your pet and not encourage any rough play or strenuous exercise outside. Leash walk him only outside when he goes potty. And I would encourage you to separate him from his play mate if they are prone to rough play a lot OR monitor their interactions closely. 2) Cold compresses on the area for 10 minute intervals twice daily for the first 3 days. Then thereafter you want to switch to warm compresses for 10 minute intervals twice daily as needed. 3) NSAID therapy- typically Rimadyl (carprofen) or Meloxicam are my go-to medical treatment for suspected minor injuries. These are pet formulated and only available through your veterinarian. I do not recommend any over the counter human pain medication due to high risk of liver and kidney damage in pets. Here are some things to look out for that could indicate this may be a serious injury or even possibly a fracture1) Severe pain with constant whimpering, even when pet is not mobile2) Severe swelling in the area with bruising 3) Severe pain reaction (even biting) when the area is touched If you have a veterinarian or low cost facility to go to for the pain medication that would be ideal. Also an exam of the area to ensure conservative treatment is the way to go here instead of additional diagnostics. Ultimately if you are unable to get to a vet over the next few days, then you would treat this as the wait-and-see period to determine if he improves with the conservative suggestions above. If he does not improve or worsens after 4-7 days then it is best to get him seen by your veterinarian at that time. I hope that the suggestions above prove helpful to you. If you have any further questions or comments then please feel free to ask and I will be more than happy to continue the conversation. If you are satisfied with my detailed answer on how to care for your pet then please don't forget to leave me a rating by clicking on the "Rate My Expert" button at the top of the screen. Thank you for your feedback.Best regards,Dr. H

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet