Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My 86 pound yellow lab "treed a cat" today, she tried to climb

Customer Question

My 86 pound yellow lab "treed a cat" today, she tried to climb the tree, she waited the cat our and then chased the cat, and now she is limping on her back leg, and seems to be in great pain in that one leg. When she sits she spreads that leg outward, hard to get up from sitting or lying down, she seem to be hurting bad
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is she bearing weight on the limb? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- How much does she weigh? 4- Is she currently on any medications?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No she is not bearing weight, she is limping, no existing medical conditions, She weighs 86 pounds and is on NO medications I think she thinks she is a coon dog, trying to climb a tree like that. She is a house dog and lap dog, but goes outside in my fenced yard on nice days to get some exercise. She surely got some exercise today with chasing that cat
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know whether to put heat on her leg or ice. or to wrap in up in a stretch bandage???
:) Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, a very common injury to the hind limb in dogs when running or jumping is to the cranial cruciate ligament (ACL in humans). The best option for Mollie is having her checked today by a veterinarian at the very least to start her on prescription anti inflammatory and pain killing medication. If you do not have access to a vet today this is what you can do: 1- Do Not wrap the limb. If you notice any area that is swollen you can apply cold compresses for 5 minutes 3-4 times a day. 2- Buffered Aspirin 325mg 1.5 tablet every 12 hours for 5-7 days. You can buy buffered aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy. Do Not give things like Naproxen, Ibuprofen, etc. 3- Limit physical activity to urinate and defecate on a leash. No running or jumping. 4- Follow up with family veterinarian in the morning for a hands on examination. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!