Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

How to help hotspots

Customer Question

How to help hotspots
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I would like to ask for clarification, though, if you don't mind: Are you seeking help with a current hot spot which your dog has developed or are you asking how to treat them as a general topic? There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My dog has hotspots on her now and he keeps itching them. Can I do anything to help her now just until we get to the vet
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm sorry that your dog is suffering from this condition but I have a few suggestions which may be of help now: 1. First, I'd trim away as much hair as possible around the edges to expose the affected skin if you haven't already done so. You may be surprised how extensive an area is involved once you start trimming.If you have mustache clippers, they'd be perfect for this job or they can be purchased at most dollar stores or even box stores such as WalMart.Just take care since this area could be quite painful for her; I wouldn't want you to become injured if this is the case so having someone restrain her head may be necessary.2. Then, I'd gently clean the area twice a day with dilute over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea).If you have something with Chlorohexiderm in it such as Hebiclens, that would also be acceptable. I'd avoid the use of hydrogen peroxide since it's been shown to retard healing when used on a dog's skin.3. I'd then apply a small amount of over the counter cortisone ointment which can help to reduce inflammation and soothe the skin.4. If the area also looks really oozy or pusy, then I'd also apply a small amount of antibacterial ointment or cream such as you'd use on a wound for yourself.5. A perfect product for this sort of skin issue would be Vetericyn spray which may be available at local pet or grain stores. I know it can be purchased online but this won't help you now unless you get it shipped overnight.6. If she's not currently taking any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or steroid drugs, then she could be given Aspirin at a dose of 10 mg per pound of body weight, with food to avoid stomach upset. This drug has anti-pain as well as anti-inflammatory properties which may help her to feel better.7. Over the counter Benadryl may help reduce the itch although it's not as effective as other drugs might be; however, it may cause sedation as a side effect. The dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day.8. She may need to wear a cone to prevent further damage to the area depending on where it's located on her body.These types of lesions always heal but sometimes can take up to a week or more to do so even when treated by a vet. I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.
Hello again,I'm just following up on your dog. How are things going with her skin? Deb