Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I just noticed swelling around my dogs right eye JA: I'm

Customer Question

I just noticed swelling around my dogs right eye
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Stella one year old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I adopted her last week from theSPCA
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!First, congratulations on your new adoption! I hope you have many happy years together :)Can you please tell me if the eye itself is normal? Is there any rubbing or itching of the eye? Have you tried any home remedies thus far to treat the swelling?
I can give you some basic guidelines for this evening but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue or the eye seems swollen. - Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush- No rubbing! If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and allow your pet to rest more comfortably and potentially reduce the swelling- A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basisIf flushing has not improved the eye or the cornea itself is hazy then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not a corneal ulcer that requires medical therapy or another condition that is causing the eye to close due to pain. I would hate to have you end up at the veterinary er over the weekend because it worsens or is not improving and have to pay the higher price in order to get comfortablePlease let me know how else I can assist you both today.If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!