Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Bulldog 65 pounds ate 1/4 of 50mg metoprolol tablet JA: Thanks.

Customer Question

Bulldog 65 pounds ate 1/4 of 50mg metoprolol tablet
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He found pill under chair tried spitting it out and found pill
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!At 65 pounds (29.5 kg) a dosage started low at approximately 0.2 mg/kg PO q12h and slowly titrated upwards (as tolerated) every 2-3 weeks. Practically, the dosage per dog will be a minimum of 6.25 mg (1/4 of a 25 mg tablet) unless dosage forms are compounded.So for his size 5.9 mg would be a typical doseIngesting 1/4 of a 50 mg tablet or 12.5 mg would be a double dose so monitoring for clinical signs would be advised. With toxicology studies of the 995 exposed dogs, 97 were symptomatic (at a much higher dosage). The most common clinical signs included: lethargy (23%), tachycardia (20%), vomiting (18%) and bradycardia (16%). Of the 80 cats, 12 were symptomatic with 17% being bradycardic, mydriatic or tachycardic.If seen then please consider a veterinary exam but if your Bulldog is a healthy dog with no other health issues very likely you will not have any side effects.You can be proactive and consider inducing vomiting. If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 2 tbsp & 1/2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on your dog to see how he is doing after ingesting the medication? I would love an update when you are able...Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!