Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

13 to 14 year old beagle just noticed a almost softball sized

Customer Question

13 to 14 year old beagle just noticed a almost softball sized bloat on his right side just in front of his hind leg.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: It's on or in his belly.
JA: What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Hunter.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Not really.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I may need to ask a few questions to get a better understand of what's going on. 1)Has this swelling/mass appeared on Hunter in the past 24 hours or has there been growth of this over the past few days/months?2)Does the area seem painful, bruised or is it having any drainage?3) Is he otherwise acting normal (normal appetite, attitude, activity level)?Thanks for answering a few extra questions. It helps me get the best answer possible to you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A week or so ago he looked bloated gave him a half dose of 3 way wormer left side still a little bloated right side looks odd. He's still eating act's the same just very old. What could be swollen on the right side of his gut?
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.
If this is not an external mass (skin or subcutaneous tissue) and there is truly something internal pushing outward, then this becomes suspicious to be a tumor, especially one of the spleen, digestive tract, kidney; or it could be an independent mass. Alternatively, if he is truly "bloated" he may be having fluid accumulation inside his abdomen. These are all issues that indicate he needs to be seen by his veterinarian as soon as you can arrange this. If he is "sick" today (not eating, lethargic, gums pale, painful or has vomit/diarrhea) then this is a medical emergency and you need to have him examined today.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey