Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She started vomiting a couple weeks ago. The Vet put her on

Customer Question

She started vomiting a couple weeks ago. The Vet put her on anti-vomiting medicine and bland food, but she won't eat the bland food. She stopped vomiting for a few days then as she started eating more (dry or packaged dog food, etc), but then she got sick again. She is listless about half the time, but occasionally perks up and wants to play. She drinks fine and does not have diarrhea. It the last couple of days she has started getting a bad odor. He xrays have shown no obstruction and her blood tests have shown no issues.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She is a mix (German Shepherd/Brittiny Spaniel) and about 80 pounds. She is 6 years old, and has never had any eating issues that lasted more than a day or two.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with your 6 year old. When a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests can't clarify why vomiting is occurring, imaging in the form of X-rays or, preferably, ultrasound is indicated. An abdominal ultrasound is the more sensitive imaging modality particularly of the gastrointestinal tract itself where the primary problem should be expected to exist because blood work hasn't identified a problem outside the GI tract. To be more accurate, can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't. Her bad odor is puzzling. I would need to determine the source of that odor. Seborrheic odors (often described as that of dirty gym socks) arise from chronically inflamed skin. A uremic odor arises from renal insufficiency. An odor of acetone arises from advanced diabetes mellitus. Anal gland odor is "skunk-like".

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?