Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I dropped one of my Jintelli HRT pills (generic

Customer Question

I dropped one of my Jintelli HRT pills (generic for Femhrt 1's 1/5 dosage) and My male Corgi ate one.Will he be ok? He weighs 38 lbs. thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago did he have this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
About 30 minutes ago
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He seems fine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you,Unfortunately, this isn't a medication we use in dogs and therefore there are no safe dose ranges established for them. This means we cannot be sure what dose could cause issue. So, while it sounds like a small dose that likely won't cause harm, it'd be ideal to err on the side of caution for Bandit.Therefore, if it has been 30 minutes (which we'd not expect signs quiet yet anyway, so being normal doesnt' give us many clues), we'd be best to induce vomiting. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.Overall, there is no safe dose established for dogs. Therefore, the above would be our safest option at this point. Otherwise, you can have your local vet ring Poison Control for pets (though there is a $65 fee to do so) +/- start Apomorphine and IV fluids to just make sure this will cause Bandit no issue here.Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?

nekovet