Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

This is a question about a 4 1/2 year-old westie who has no

Customer Question

This is a question about a 4 1/2 year-old westie who has no history of any health problems. We notices yesterday that he is not closing his mouth all the time. For example , if he is looking at you his mouth is open bUT if he is resting his head his mouth closes. We have noticed that he is having trouble eating dog biscuits which makes me think it's a dental issue. Examination of his mouth/tongue doesn't reveal any obvious issues. He is eating and drinking. Though he has been drinking water from toilet which he has never done and there is water in water bowl. He is up to date on all vaccines and is well cared for. We live in rural area with no vet available in the area without driving almost 3 hours. Will call vet in morning. Looking for any suggestions /advice. Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I believe that you are correct that Angus is having some dental or periodontal issues that are probably not obvious to you but your vet can tranquilize Angus for a thorough oral exam. He could have small tumors or erosions that is causing him pain that you cannot detect. For now, take hydrogen peroxide and using a sryinge, spray some of this on his teeth and gums. make it only a small amount since, if it is too much, this could cause him to vomit. This will help any lesions that you cannot see until your vet can examine his mouth. I do not believe this is serious but it is probably painful for sweet Angus and needs treatment by your vet. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. I'll call the vet 1st thing in the morning.
Good for you...I really believe that Angus has a mouth problem....your vet will find it and treat it...good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Angus. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta