Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Calif. I have a 12 year old female Queensland Healer that is

Customer Question

Calif. I have a 12 year old female Queensland Healer that is the love of my life. I am 72 & she is my best friend in this world. About 6 weeks ago I had to go back east due to a death in the family. I left my dog with a friend she knew well & would be comfortable with in my absence. I got back 2 days ago & picked up my dog and I think she is pregnant her breast are hanging down & her nipples are getting large. I am worried about her having pups at her age. Could you please give me some input on what would be the best thing to do at this point is she is at risk due to her age & if so is it possible to have them aborted ? Please respond ASAP thank you John & Patches
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. I am very sorry to hear about Patches situation.Now unlike human females, female dogs do keep cycling and therefore pups are a worry with what you are seeing. (though often they are less fertile at her age and therefore have smaller litters and are more likely lose them during the pregnancy). Otherwise, there is a chance that her signs are related to a false pregnancy (where they can show the signs that you have reported) which can be treated.In this case, with her potentially so advanced, we are past a point where we can give an injection to abort the pregnancy. If we were to do that now, since the pups would be quite developed she would likely go into labor to pass them. So, that is not advisable.Instead, the only option if this is a pregnancy would be to have her spayed to remove her uterus and with it the pregnancy. And this is advisable since it will get around her having pups but also remove the uterus (which is prone to infection at her age). As well, since we may not know what male mated here, this would remove any risk of delivery complications from overly large pups.Oof course, before spaying is considered, we'd want a local vet to examine her +/- ultrasound her abdomen. That way we can double check that this is actually a pregnancy and we need to do the above; or whether we have a false pregnancy which would just be medically managed to settle for her.Overall, we need to rule out a false pregnancy first and foremost for Patches. That said, if she is pregnant (and the timing makes it quite likely) then spaying would be best as soon as possible to remove the pregnancy and halt any risk for her.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi again,I just wanted to send a wee note since you did sound quite worried and just in case my original reply ended up in your spam folder.Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )