Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 9 month old Havanese (15 pound male) was found chewing

Customer Question

Our 9 month old Havanese (15 pound male) was found chewing my Afrin bottle about 2 1/2 hours ago. He has thrown up twice in the last hour but otherwise shows normal activity and is drinking. What should we be doing at this point?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We found him chewing on the bottle and the rug was wet in the area so the contents had leaked out. We don't know how much he got - the bottle wasn't full when he got it. He did throw up about a half cup of fluid and some soggy dog food after he ate. He 's behaving normally, currently chewing on a nylabone. The nasal spray bottle holds 1 oz., but as I said, it was not full.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. This situation is potentially a problem but in your case it does not sound as if much Afrin was ingested and if adverse symptoms were going to appear then they would have normally have started to do so by now. The fact he has already vomited is also a plus point. 2. If adverse symptoms were going to occur then they would include a low heart rate, low blood pressure, panting, weakness, sedation, and tremors. This drug will take about 24 hours to pass through your dog's system by the way.3. What to do about it? : Inducing vomiting going to be effective after two hours so all you can do is to keep an eye on your dog and if any serious symptoms should appear then you should take him to an ER vet without delay as supportive care may be needed. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me furtherI hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Afrin incident ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Answers