Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Can dogs take human amoxicillin in small dosages? JA: Thanks.

Customer Question

Can dogs take human amoxicillin in small dosages?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's almost midnight here and her face is blown up like a balloon. One of her teeth look pretty bad. I just wanted to get the swelling down till the am...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Sorry to hear your dog has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. This drug is often used in dogs to treat infections of various sorts and the human form and the veterinary form are basically just the same. This drug is regarded as having a high margin of safety in dogs. 2. The normal dose rate for Amoxycillin ranges from between 5 to 12 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight twice a day for a five to seven day period. I personally would use 10 mg per pound for a dog in your one's situation.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning Amoxycillin dosage ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.