Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

My female dog is at least 48 days pregnant. That's how long

Customer Question

My female dog is at least 48 days pregnant. That's how long we have had her. My male dog hooked with her numerous times from the night we got her. I'm not sure if she was already Bred or not, but she did bleed like she was in heat the first night. She has been filling up with milk for about a week and her vulva has been swollen for about 3 days. Today she lost some mucus, she is pacing the floor on and off, drinking a lot of water, and wanting to go outside to potty every 10 minutes for the past 2 hours. I checked her temperature 3 hours ago and it was 100.1. Is it possible she could be in labor? If not, how much longer? My vet checked her about 8 days ago and said she was definitely bred, but she couldn't feel any movement because she was so tensed up.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 11 months ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question. Has she been eating normally today?Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She's been gassy and has burped a few times. Yes she is eating probably more than what she normally does.
The average gestation period for a dog is about 58-63 days therefore if Gypsy is around 48 days, she most likely is not ready to go into labor yet. If it is possible that she was bred before you got her then she could be farther along then we think. I am glad that you are checking her temperature as a drop in temp. under 100 F is a sign that labor will occur within 24 hours. Most female dogs will also stop eating when they are within 24 hours of labor. Since she is still eating well then most likely she is not going to go into labor within the next day. Other symptoms that occur when labor is very close would be vomiting, diarrhea, urinating frequently, drinking a lot, nesting (trying to find a place to have the puppies), and even milk dripping from her mammary glands. At this point, based on what you are describing, she is most likely not going to go into labor within the next 24 hours though I would keep watching her symptoms closely because this could change at anytime in the next 7-14 days. Hope this helps - please feel free to reply if you have any questions. Thank you.
Hi Danielle,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gypsy. How is everything going?
Dr. Matt
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We are still pregnant so far. Temp has been 99.6 for the past 2 days. She seems to be extremely tired today, and not eating well.
Hello again - Gypsy is around 53-54 days therefore she is definitely getting closer. She may have at most one more week though with a temperature less then 100 F she should be getting close. Keep watching she sounds like she will be having some puppies soon. Keep in Touch!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Temp as of two hours ago was a 98.2, she looks super pregnant all of a sudden, she is very tired and is constantly laying down unless she goes out to potty which seems like it's every 15 min. How often do I need to check her temperature?
She definitely sounds like she is getting close. I would take her temperature once a day. Since her temp. is already lower then 100 F, and has been for a couple of days, this is not going to be very reliable to indicate when she is going to have the puppies. Watch for a decrease in appetite and for any vomiting.
Hello Again - Did Gypsy have her puppies?