Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I have a female dog that has been spayed but i am seeing

Customer Question

i have a female dog that has been spayed but i am seeing blood very small amount i checked her behind and a little blood was there. it's like being in heat but has been spayed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am sorry to hear Cupcake has blood from her vulva. Often this is an indicator of blood in the urine as well There are a handful of causes of urination that has blood in it:1.) A urinary tract infection2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind5.) A remnant of her uterus/ ovaries were left behind after being spayed, low risk if it was done years ago and this is a new findingAgain even if the blood is just on the vulva it is often a result of blood in the urine as wellIdeally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding. In addition, please limit his licking the area as well which can aggravate the bleeding or increase risk of infection as well Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine. Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the blood in the urine to get your pet comfortable swiftly. If she is not comfortable, this is not improving at all the next 4-6 hours or progressing please consider a veterinary er sooner rather than later. Below is more information on this condition in dogs, called hematuria (blood in urine): let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlierPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes tonightIf you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cupcake. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman