Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He is a 15 year old black pug and he has two large lumps on

Customer Question

He is a 15 year old black pug and he has two large lumps on his anus and today he is bleeding quite but not from the lumps that I can see
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long have they been present?Do they appear to be getting bigger? Stretching the skin?Is the blood coming from inside the rectum?Does he seem sore?Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, yes they do appear to be getting bigger and stretching the skin.
I imagine he may be in pain, but he isn't showing it. When my husband came home from work I had him pick Max up to take the picture and that's when I realised that the blood was in fact coming from the lumps. He can't reach them to lick them and he doesn't seem to strain to poo.
They have been there for probably around a year now and our vet didn't seem overly concerned, but did say they could do a biopsy, but that it is a bit dangerous for his age.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you,Now the problem with lumps in this area is that there isn't much skin to spare. So, if they grow, the eventually will stretch the skin and lead to erosion, bleeds, and risk infection. In Max's case, I do suspect that the mass's growth is causing our bleed here.Now I do appreciate that his age does make us wary of surgery. But if these are getting to an ulcerated stage, it is only going to cause more problems like this over time. So, we may need his local vet to try anti-inflammatories to reduce the lump's size. Or we may need to consider whether he can have an operation. To determine if he can (since age is just a number and really our main focus is whether their organs are functioning as they should), we'd want them to check a geriatric blood test. If all his organ function comes back as normal, then surgery could be an option for him. And I would note that while biopsy is good for determining what is there, we'd really want to think about full removal if possible or at least debulking to remove as much as possible to counter the side effects we are currently seeing. Finally, in the meantime, we do want to see if we can keep this stable for him and prevent infection. To do so, you can stop active bleeding by using styptic powder (from the pet store) or even corn flour/starch since these help platelets clot quicker. We'd want to leave that to set but otherwise once the bleeding is settled we can salt water bathe (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) and then apply OTC antibiotic cream to this sore on the lump to prevent infection. Overall, based on what you have reported, this does sound like the lump is growing to a point that it is rupturing through the skin. Therefore, we can use the above home care for the moment but would need to speak to Max's vet about anti-inflammatories +/- actually removing this to prevent it being a constant bother for him. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )