How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14573
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 23 lb Boston Terrier ate part of a dark chocolate bunny.

Customer Question

My 23 lb Boston Terrier ate part of a dark chocolate bunny. The full bunny is 3.5 oz but there was probably 1/3 to 1/2 of that amount.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the Boston terrier will be able to digest that. What is the Boston terrier's name?
Customer: Oliver
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your Oliver ate part of a dark chocolate bunny, approximately 1.15 to 1.75 ounces.Chocolate can be toxic for dogs but they need to eat a certain amount per pound of body weight to get sick.At 23 pounds she would need to eat 1.5 ounces of dark chocolate to see symptoms of drooling, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and 3 ounces of dark chocolate to see hyperexcitability and an elevated heart rate.At higher amounts we can see muscle tremors and possible seizures. If he ate 1/3 of the bunny he should be fine, but if he at half you may see signs of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. How long has it been since he ingested the chocolate?If it has already been at least 3 hours it is likely the chocolate is out of his stomach, and it is likely too late to induce vomiting.But if he just ate it you can choose to induce vomiting, or take a watch and see approach as you aren't sure how much he ate.If it has been less than 2-3 hours to induce vomiting give him 2 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide soaked with some bread chunks or mixed with some ice cream.The take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling.If no vomiting in 15 minutes repeat the peroxide dose.If he vomits the chocolate out he should be fine.If you don't have peroxide, he tends to have a sensitive gastrointestinal tract and are concerned that he ate a toxic amount then an emergency clinic visit to induce vomiting is best. In most cases of mild chocolate toxicity the toxins are out of their system in 24 to 48 hours. We generally begin to see symptoms, if they eat a toxic amount, within 4 to 6 hours, rarely it takes about 12 hours.At this point if it has been more than 3 hours you cannot change things much at home, all you can do is watch for symptoms now.I would encourage you to get him to drink as much as possible for the next 24-48 hours and to get him out to urinate frequently. Chocolate toxins are metabolized out through the kidneys and can be reabsorbed from the bladder so we don't want them to sit in his bladder for long.If he gets nauseous it may help to with-hold food for the next 12 hours to stop intestinal spasms.If he seems at all nauseous to try and settle his stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/2 of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help him feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if needed. Then after a 12 hour food fast to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed a bland diet for the next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.If you do notice a very rapid heart rate (more than 160 beats per minute in a small dog) or repetitive tremors or seizures then he should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis for treatment. They can use injectable medications to control his heart rate and stop the seizures until the toxic levels fall.I sincerely ***** ***** you are going to see any severe symptoms if he ate 1/3 of the bunny, as that isn't enough to cause toxicity. But you know now what things to watch for and what to do should you see any symptoms.Best of luck with Oliver, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****

Related Dog Veterinary Questions