Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Weak hind legs, little control when walking, tends to drag

Customer Question

Weak hind legs, little control when walking, tends to drag feet. Some loss of bowel control.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this.
Customer: Thank you
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 8 years, named Stuart
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Has had this progress over last 6 months, does not seem to be in pain.local vet did some blood work that was all normal.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Stuart. Such progression over 6 months of paresis (weakness)/paralysis in association with fecal incontinence is pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) - in particular, degenerative myelopathy, a Lou-Gehrig type of neuromuscular disorder in some breeds. Which breed is Stuart, please? This isn't something that can be detected in routine blood work but there is a blood test used to detect degenerative myelopathy. X-rays might reveal spinal cord compression if a tumor were present in or around Stuart's spinal cord or if spinal osteoarthritis or degenerative disk disease were slowly progressive. An MRI might detect degenerative changes in the spinal cord but in some cases only post-mortem biopsy will be confirmative for the etiology of such a myelopathy.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Stuart is an 8 year old Boston Terrier.
Thank you. ***** terrier isn't known to suffer from degenerative myelopathy. This breed does, however, have a disproportionate risk of developing degenerative disk disease and older Bostons appear disproportionately prone to central nervous system tumors. X-rays or, preferably, MRI is the diagnostic of choice at this time although Stuart's prognosis must necessarily remain poor for return to normal function if only because of his progressive worsening of symptoms.Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** just confirms what our vet has told us. Will not need any further information. Please discontinue any further correspondence.
You're welcome. Please contact***@******.*** in order to stop any further correspondence from

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?