Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog was in good health but had a small pea sized lump on

Customer Question

My dog was in good health but had a small pea sized lump on his leg which I was told was connected to his sensitive skin and allergies, after getting his booster last month I was told the only way to know for sure is with an fna... He had that 10 days ago, the results were a mast cell tumour which he is getting removed in 3 days... 5 days ago I gave him Benadryl 10mg cetirzine dihydrochloride, since then his stools were getting loser and yesterday I noticed blood in his stools... He was given Benadryl once a day for three days, when the symptoms were noticed I stopped... Can you give me any advice please
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry that Cyan most likely has a mast cell tumor but glad that it was caught early and that it's going to be removed next week.I do have a few additional clarifications if you don't mind: 1. Are you concerned about the blood you saw?2. Are you wondering if the Benadryl you gave caused his loose stools and if this is a common reaction to this drug?3. Or did you want advice about what to expect when his tumor is removed? Or perhaps all of the above? 4. Were you giving Benadryl and Cetirzine together? There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb