Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My friend just adopted a dog from an animal rescue. The dog

Customer Question

My friend just adopted a dog from an animal rescue. The dog has heart worms was sent home on 20 days of antibiotics & is to follow with the heart worm treatments. The rescue said they would provide this treatment, but they can not schedule the first treatment until 5/15. Is this safe to wait this long? Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Jenny has been diagnosed with heartworms, but pleased to hear that she is now with a responsible owner and will be treated. It is good protocol to treat the bacteria (Wolbachia) that is associated with heartworm with an antibiotic (Doxycycline) before treatment. That weakens the heartworms and makes them easier to kill as well as reduces the dog's body's inflammatory response to the dying heartworms. If she will be taking the antibiotic for 20 days (3 weeks) that puts us at the 29th when she finishes treatment.It is absolutely fine to wait until the 15th to start treatment to kill the adult worms. That is roughly two weeks later. I would be concerned if they wanted to wait several months, but a couple weeks is absolutely fine.I assume in the meantime she is also taking a heartworm prevention to prevent another infection from happening.Best of luck with Jenny's treatment, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hi Margaret,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jenny. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara