Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My chiuahua sam is having issues with his hind legs.

Customer Question

My chiuahua sam is having issues with his hind legs. I noticed last night that he could not jump on the bed and this morning I was taking to potty and when he was walking his legs look wobbly and like they have no strength and he kinda loses balance. Also, when he potty's his back legs give out and he falls.He doesn't seem to be in any pain and I think he is just noticing himself that something is wrong with his back legs. Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about Sam's rear leg weakness.Has he ever had radiographs of his spine or hips? If you pinch his toes on his rear feet does he feel it?If you support him standing and flip his rear feet so the topside is down does he immediately right them?If he is dragging his toes when walking that can signify neurologic problems, such as an intervertebral disc(s) (cushions between the bony vertebrae) that are out of place or spinal arthritis putting pressure on the spinal cord or even a mass in or around the spinal cord. Another possibility is a condition called FCE, fibrocatilagenous emboli, where a chunk of cartilage breaks off and lodges in the blood vessels that supply the spinal nerve roots. It is very painful initially as blood supply to tissue is blocked off. The pain only lasts a short time, less than a few hours to a day, but the weakness from the nerve damage it causes it can last for weeks or in rare cases is permanent.Large breed dogs (Labs & Rottweilers) are prone to a disease process that affects the rear legs called lumbosacral stenosis (LSS). Although less common in small breeds we can see it in them too.It can have many of the same symptoms as a FCE as it causes neurologic symptoms too. It is caused by weak spinal ligaments that allow the bones in the spinal column to move and place pressure on the spinal cord or it can be due to inflammation of the ligaments inside the spinal cord canal causing pressure on the spinal cord leading to loss of function, just like a FCE.FCE are initially painful but after that it's just a matter of regaining function.LSS can be painful on and off until the spinal column is stabilized and the pressure is taken off the spinal cord permanently. Another possibility if he seems not painful is a condition called ascending myelopathy. This is a progressive degeneration of the spinal nerves that begins with incoordination of the rear legs then progresses to loss of urine and stool control (continence). This seems very unlikely with him as his symptoms came on very suddenly according to your history, and he would be very young to have this start. He really needs a veterinary examination as soon as possible. Radiographs to look for a collapsed disc space or arthritis of the spine would be helpful. We need to know what the problem is to treat it successfully.If those look fine then an MRI of his spinal cord in the back of the body will be helpful.I know that he doesn't seem painful, but sometimes if the spinal cord is very compressed they lose sensation and don't feel painful. Those pups are in bigger trouble then those that can feel pain.Pain and inflammation in these conditions is controlled with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories like Deramaxx, Metacam or Rimadyl as well as Tramadol and/or Gabapentin.Long term you can use omega 3's and glucosamines if arthritis is diagnosed. These nutraceuticals help improve cartilage and joint fluid health as well as reduce inflammation. I recommend using a combination of a glucosamine/chondroitin product (examples are Dasuquin or Cosequin) and an omega 3 fatty acid (like 3V Caps or Derm Caps). I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give him 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 8 pound dog could take 160mg of EPA per day. Omega 3's and glucosamine/chondroitins work synergistically and improve cartilage health and joint fluid quality and quantity as well as reducing inflammation. They can take several weeks to see full improvement but some dogs do very well with them alone. They are available over the counter.Another option is a product called Duralactin. This is an anti-inflammatory product derived from milk proteins and it also has omega 3 fatty acids incorporated into it which can be very helpful. See this link for further information: There is no treatment for myelopathy, unfortunately. We can only truly diagnose that condition after death because it requires a biopsy of spinal cord tissue. We usually rule out everything else and with a history of little to no pain and a gradual onset then we assume it is myelopathy. There is a blood test that looks for genetic markers for the disease that is pretty accurate. If you want to test him for the disease here is a link to a website which will give you information about how to get him tested: If he is not responding to cortisone or nonsteroidals then I think that more diagnostic testing should be done. An MRI of his spinal cord will help diagnose intervertebral disc disease or lumbosacral stenosis. Those conditions can be treated surgically. In the meantime try and keep your pup quiet. With spinal instability the more they do, especially jarring activities like running and stairs, the faster the condition can progress. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sam. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****