Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My Puppy a Yorkie 6mnths is going on a week with a stuffy n

Customer Question

My Puppy a Yorkie 6mnths is going on a week with a stuffy n running nose n congestion This only gets worse at night Notice if he's kept warm he sleeps better He's still playful, eats n drinks as normal What can I do to make it better for him Is a week too long for symptoms to continue without worsening??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It appears to me that sweet Yoda is probably having an allergic reaction to something...possibly pollen or dust in the air. The best thing to try is to give him Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs to reduce the congestion and combat any form of allergic reaction. If this is not enough, you may have to take Yoda to your vet for testing but, since he is otherwise healthy, this treatment is often very effective. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could the conclusion of an allergic reaction be because his symptoms only worsen at night time? The weather yesterday was gloomy n light drizzle all day I notice Yoda had symptoms all day unlike the other days
The congestion from the allergic reaction will settle in the evening when Yoda is resting. It is hard to know what would cause this reaction but a response to the Benadryl could give you the diagnosis without further testing. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** give Yoda Benadryl n if symptoms don't get better will take to vet. Thanks, again
Excellent! Good for is worth a try...please let me know if this is effective. Thanks!!