Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Eating grass and throwing up. Any "human" medicine I can give

Customer Question

Eating grass and throwing up. Any "human" medicine I can give him to calm his stomach? He is a big dog -greyhound about 80 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No just his normal food and some money grass
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jake - 4 years old
JA: How old is Jake - 4 Years Old?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No problems -just the grass eating. He is kind of gassy sometimes but this is pretty normal. He is a retired greyhound racer.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Jake. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. You can give a dog Pepcid AC (famotidine), at 10 mg per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight, twice daily. If he is 80 pounds, give 20 mg. I would limit food until the vomiting stops, and only offer water, broth, or Pedialyte. Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
How is Jake doing? Was my answer helpful?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?