How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Drhollowayvet Your Own Question
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 717
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Drhollowayvet is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 45 pound seven year old austrailian shepherd ate 1 1/2

Customer Question

Our 45 pound seven year old austrailian shepherd ate 1 1/2 oz of dark chocolate sweetened with Stevia
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Annie
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: female
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: she also got into a bag of yellow raisins (organic from the farmers market) and ate about 1 1/2 c.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry to hear that your pet ingested chocolate which can be toxic to pets. Give me a few moments to do a quick calculation to let you know if the amount she ate was at the toxic level and what further treatment is needed for her care. This should take me no more than 5 minutes. Thank you for your patience.Please just type a quick reply while I work on this to let me know you are connected ok to the chat. thank you.- Dr. H
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am more worried about the raisins she ate.
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you for pointing out the raisin ingestion as well. It was overlooked at the bottom. I will be back with you momentarily. Here are my calculations so far with the chocolate. I too am more concerned about the raisins. Based on my calculations at this dosage your pet is way below the toxic range for the chocolate. You may see mild GI upset (vomiting and diarrhea) but beyond that she should be fine with having ingested just 1.5 oz of dark sweetened chocolate at 45 lb weight. She is lucky she is not a smaller pet. I do not recommend any further treatment for her at this time for the chocolate. I will be back with raisin toxicity suggestions, give me roughly 5 mins. Thank you.Dr. H
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you. I will wait for your reply
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry to say but the raisins were at a toxic level which is documented as being 0.16-0.7 ounces/kg. She weights 45 lbs (20.45 ounces and a toxic amount is just 0.4 cups of raisins.I highly recommend the following:1) Induce vomiting now by giving 4 tsp (20mls) of hydrogen peroxide immediately2) Take her to your local ER clinic right away for another induction of emisis if the hydrogen peroxide is unavailable or didn't work. They will also need to get an IV in her and fluids started right away. Kidney failure due to raisin toxicity is very likely and her prognosis is guarded-grave even with treatment. I am so sorry but she needs medical attention soon for her best chance at being ok through this. - DR. H
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. we have given her hydrogen peroxide in the past. Very familiar with that. We were out tonight and she may have eaten them as early in the evening as 6:00pm
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, I think she only had about 1/2 - 3/4 c. yellow raisins.Does that change anything?
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
That seems like more than enough to cause toxicity issues. No it sure doesn't they are still made from grapes and all grapes are considered toxic to pets. I am sorry. It is best to take her in, even if she does vomit. The risk is too great not to. - Dr. H
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. I wanted to check in on Annie this morning to see how things went at the vet's office? I do hope that Annie was able to be seen, detoxed and stabilized from her raisin ingestion yesterday. Feel free to update me on her status at your convenience. Her well-being is my top priority. Thank you.- Dr. H
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
I have not heard a reply from you concerning your pet. I hope that I was able to assist you to get her the care she needed and that she is well. If I have given you sound advice on how to care for your pet please don't forget to leave me a rating as this is how I am credited with taking the time to assist you and your pet concerns. Thank you for your feedback.Sincerely,Dr. H

Related Dog Veterinary Questions