Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

While cleaning out the fridge, we found a package of dried

Customer Question

While cleaning out the fridge, we found a package of dried mistletoe left from Christmas. It fell to the floor and my 16 pound ***** ***** Terrier ate two of the dried leaves. Will this harm him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jax is 4 1/2 years old
JA: How old is Jax Is 4 1/2 Years Old?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: It was very dry and two small leaves
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question. How long ago did Jax ingest the two leaves of dried mistletoe?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About ten minutes ago
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am currently typing in your answer - I will post the answer in the next 5-7 minutes.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 6 months ago.
Mistletoe can be toxic to dogs unfortunately. The symptoms of toxicity are vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, slowed heart rate, erratic behavior and if much larger amounts are ingested collapse and severe depression. Since Jax only ate 2 leaves the risks of serious side effects are low, though I would recommend inducing vomiting to be safe and potentially prevent any serious side effects. Since he ate the leaves ten minutes ago, inducing vomiting should prevent any side effects. The safest way to induce vomiting at home would be to give him 1/2 of a tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide. You can use an oral syringe or spoon. Make sure he swallows as much as possible. Most dogs will vomit within 15 minutes. If he does not you can give him one more dose of the peroxide. If he does not vomit after the second dose then I would recommend taking him to an emergency vet for more help. The vet can give him an injection that will make him vomit even faster. Overall, while the risks of serious side effects are low, I would recommend inducing vomiting since mistletoe leaves can be toxic to dogs. Hope this helps - please feel free to reply if you have any questions.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 6 months ago.
How is everything going? Were you able to induce vomiting?