Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

My 9 week old blue heeled got into a puddle of grey water at

Customer Question

my 9 week old blue heeled got into a puddle of grey water at the outtake of our kitchen sink, simetaniously I gave her her second 5 in1 shoot. That's when the diarrhea started. This was a week ago. Now the diarrhea is light brown with very light green basically clear traces of mucus with horrendous gas. She got into that same grey water briefly two other occasions during the past week also. On top of all that I noticed her dragging her anus across the grass and hobbling like she had fleas. She seems basically normal with water an food intake along with activity. What test should I get run on her and her stool(heart worm,tapeworm,intestinal infection etc..) at the vet? And are there any antibiotics I can get from my local trusted feed store for this possible intestinal infection. Please help Seth and Sevett
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
Hello and sorry to hear about your pets prolonged GI upset. I do feel that combination of the two events: exposure to potentially contaminated water and vaccinations were enough to disrupt the normal bacterial flora of the intestines. Not sure what contaminants were exactly present but any stand still water has a potential for contamination of Giardia especially.In response to your question I do think its feasible to run a Giardia specific snap test since a fecal examination was already ran and came up negative. To answer your other question about antibiotics available at the feed store that will treat possible intestinal infection, unless they carry Metronidazole or Tylan powder, then you are pretty much stuck with returning to the veterinarian who saw Sevett before for a prescription. My plan of action for cases like this were there is most likely intestinal bacterial dysbiosis (imbalance of good and bad bacteria) with probably Giardia infection, I would treat her with Metronidazole for 10 days duration along with a good Probiotic, such as Fortifiora or Proviable. You can also try over the counter Culturelle probiotic instead if you can locate some at your local pharmacy (Walgreens, CVS, Rite-aid). Then a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice or cottage cheese OR Purina EN Gastrointestinal for the duration of 7 days, with a slow transition back to the normal diet after things have settled. I hope these suggestions are helpful to you. Please respond with any further questions or comments about the suggestions above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. Otherwise if you are satisfied with my answer then please don't forget to leave me a rating by clicking on the "Rate my Expert" button at the top of your screen. I wish you and Sevett the best moving forward with her care. Thank you. - Dr. H