Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

We have a whippet who has just flown with us from Tasmania

Customer Question

Hi. We have a whippet who has just flown with us from Tasmania in Australia to New York USA.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: He had had bad diarrhea since landing today.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Is there anything we can do to help stop his need to go to the toilet so often. He's not distressed, but I'm not sure he's going to get through to night without messing himself. Poor soul.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different? OK. No obvious pain.
Customer: No pain. Just diarrhea
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: Yes. We feed him meat (chicken & mince)
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: Yes. Pooing is berry runny
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Paddy. Age 2.5
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He's a lot thinner than when we sent him off to the flight last Tuesday.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear that your dog has loose stools after the stress of travelingI can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with her digestive tract but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss (which it sounds like has occurred), vomiting, decreased appetite- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken as you have been feeding. Perhaps hold off food x 12 hours to allow the gastric contractions to subside- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily - Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stoolsIf there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks! Do you think it could just be stress related? Do dogs get diarrhea often after travel? The flight was long (1 + 16 + 6 hours over 3 flights).
Yes it absolutely is going to be stress related to travel, poor little thing!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He's never flown before. Of interest there has been an outbreak of parvo virus in Tasmania recently. Could this be a concern?
If he has been vaccinated and current on his vaccination against parvo it should not be a concern but if there is any vomiting, blood in the stool then having him evaluated asap would be strongly encouraged
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes - he was vaccinated back in March in prep for the move. We'll just give him tlc & some rice & boiled meat & see how he is in a few days. Thanks!
You are very welcome, if he is not improving please get him to a veterinarian. He may require antibiotics to get through this and help him heal more swiftly... Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
I am online another 15 minutes if I can be of any further assistance this evening
Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Paddy to see if things have returned to normal with her stools yet? I would love an update when you are able...If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman