Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a five year old Germen Shepard and in the middle of

Customer Question

I have a five year old Germen Shepard and in the middle of the night, 3am began yelling in pain. Took her to the vet for an emergency visit and she was prescribed muscle relaxer, pain meds, steroids and sleeping pills.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bora- she is out of pain now and we are to follow up with our vet in five days. Emergency vet said its a pinched nerve in her back near the hind legs,she barely can stand not to mention having a very difficult time relieving herself out doors, we have her on a short leash.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear Bora is having such difficulties. A pinched nerve or a disc herniation can definitely cause weakness in the back end and acute pain as you describe. CLICK HERE for more informationYou can aid her to go to the bathroom with a towel under her groin as a sling. This is used to ensure her safety as well as your back In more severe cases surgery is necessary to relieve the pressure and allow full function to return. Keeping her restricted as you currently are doing is the best solution along with the pain management but I also would strongly encourage investigating acupuncture which can work wonders in these situationsWhat additional types of questions can I assist with in regards ***** ***** Bora today?