Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My black lab around 85 lbs ate an entire pack of ex-lax (chocolate)

Customer Question

my black lab around 85 lbs ate an entire pack of ex-lax (chocolate) happened within the hour
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: clyde and 5 years of age
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!Luckily this will not be toxic but can definitely result in gi upset, vomiting, diarrhea so inducing vomiting would be advisedSince your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (3 tbsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.I hope this information makes sense, please keep me updated and if he does vomit everything up to provide relief If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If no vomiting please withhold food tonight, give pepcid 20 mg (famotidine) and then tomorrow morning a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meatIf vomiting, diarrhea, inappetence is not subsiding please consider a veterinary exam before the weekend and a veterinary er visit is needed...
I wanted to check in to see if you were able to induce vomiting? I would love an update when you are able...Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman