Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

What can I give my springer spaniel pain? If I massage

Customer Question

What can I give my springer spaniel for leg pain? If I massage his leg he stops limping until he sits or lays down for any period of time. Would aspirin be okay?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.
Hello Stacey, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Stacey Sorry to hear Murphy is uncomfortable however I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Yes you can give aspirin to dogs. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } or Ibuprofen for example which should be avoided because of many reports of side effects and toxicity issues in the dog. 2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINKI hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Stacey,I am just checking back in to see how Murphy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of aspirin ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Murphy. How is everything going?

Vet_Answers