Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog cannot poop I can see the poop but she cannot get it

Customer Question

My dog cannot poop I can see the poop but she cannot get it out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kaila and she is 11
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She is healthy other than that she cannot poop
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm so sorry that Kaila is having this problem; I know how uncomfortable she must be if she's a little (or a lot) constipated. When it comes to constipation issues, there are actually several options for you to try at home: manual removal and/or oral laxatives. The former may be more appropriate for now if she has firm feces at her anal opening that you can see with the latter options ones which may help future recurrence.Removal options:1. Sometimes if you can remove enough hard feces that are present right at the anal opening, the patient is able to evacuate the remainder. So, if you'd like to try and remove fecal material, the following is how you would do so: Place a latex glove on your hand and lubricate it really well with K/Y jelly o rPetroleum Jelly and lubricate her rectum, too. Gently insert your index finger into her anus up to your first or second knuckle, and hook your finger into fecal material and gently retract it. You may need to perform this procedure several times.I would have someone helping you since this may be a little uncomfortable for Kaila (as you might expect) and you don't want to get injured yourself.I do understand that this is not something that everyone will feel comfortable doing but it can be quite effective for some patients. 2. If you have a large syringe or turkey baster, you can also give her a warm water enema. Obviously, this is not for the faint hearted either. I would lubricate the end of the syringe or baster as I mentioned above, gently insert into her rectum about 1 inch and gently squeeze the warm water into her.You may also need to repeat this procedure several times to loosen up the hard stool.Every step should be done gently so as not to hurt her.3. You can give her an over the counter, human enema if it has DSS (docusate sodium) on the label. Another enema option would be a single pediatric glycerin suppository and would be my first choice which can work quite well, too.Oral laxative options:1. Laxatone or Laxaire (or similar products) which are hairball laxatives for cats. These products will work very well on a smaller dog but not as well on the medium and larger breeds since you'd have to give quite a lot to be effective. They are available at pet or grain stores. You would give 1-3 inches 2-3 times a day.2. Canned pumpkin (NOT the pie mix); ½ -1 tsp daily in food3. Over the counter, human Miralax 1/4-1/2th tsp twice daily can work very well.4. Oral Docusate Sodium (Colace) 25 mg once or twice a day for small dogs. I hope this helps and that at least one option above will be successful. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.
Hello again,I'm just following up on Kaila. How are things going with her? Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb