Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog has eaten stuff from the bathroom garbage can like toilet

Customer Question

My dog has eaten stuff from the bathroom garbage can like toilet paper and feminine napkins. He is now short of breath and will act like he is going to get sick, but then he will reswallow anything that comes up.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jack and he's about 10
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He is a long haired dachshund.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Unfortunately, I think the safest thing for Jack would be to get him to the vet. If he is short of breath/having trouble breathing, that is considered an emergency which needs to be seen right away. Delaying a trip to the vet with respiratory issues could be detrimental. Also, given his history of eating things he shouldn't, and the attempting to vomit, I worry that he could have a foreign body obstruction, and would recommend he have x-rays to check his stomach and also his lungs (due to the shortness of breath).