Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Throwing up yellow and brown liquid JA: I'm sorry to hear

Customer Question

throwing up yellow and brown liquid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not to my knowledge. I had to let her out several times during the night last night (highly unusual) thought it was diarera
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: grace 11
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: she is on glocosime chondrotin only thing I give her daily
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How often is she vomiting? 2- Breed? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- How much does she weigh? 5- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I came home last night and there look like vomit stain next to her bed she had eaten. Found another spot and a new one just now thought trips out side were diareR she wined last night which she never does she usually just paws to wake me if she is having an emergency and needs out. Gave her rice this morning which there were none in the recent vomit. She has artruthis and vey out her on glocisimine/ chongriton last year.
She is a lab mix (Italian greyhound 25% and Chiwawa(sp?) 25% and weighs 48 lbs. 11 yrs old in August
She is a little lethargic.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Vey meant her vet. Prescribed the supplements
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that she is an older dog it is important to rule out systemic diseases like kidneys, liver, etc. for this reason I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian. In the meantime in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter