Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My dog a a cloth shoe lace. What can I do?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your pup ate something she should not have, a cloth shoe lace.She's a big pup and it may pass but because these are not digestible if she just ate it, within the past 2-3 hours, it's worth trying to get her to vomit it back up. Laces can get stuck and then the cloth can have a sawing action on the intestinal wall which could cause a perforation.You can give her 3 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with bread chunks or ice cream (it's 1 tablespoon per 10 pounds but no more than 3 tablespoons per dose even if she weighs more than 35 pounds).Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the lace pieces are present. Once she finishes vomiting and empties her stomach to try and settle her stomach today you can give either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber whether she vomits most of the lace back up or not to help push the remaining pieces through.If you don't have peroxide you can get her to a veterinary clinic to induce vomiting.If she doesn't vomit it back up and/or you choose not to take her to a clinic still use the bland diet with pumpkin to try and get the pieces to pass.If it has been several hours since she ate the lace it may be too late to induce vomiting, the pieces may be out of her stomach. All you can do at that point is watch her closely. If she starts vomiting, has a tense painful belly or refuses to eat or runs a fever (more than 103F rectally) then that can signify a blockage and she should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Surgery may be needed at that point.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****